A master oscillator
is the primary controlling oscillator
for a receiver
. Its purpose is to control the stability of the selected frequency
. There are several types in use today:
- VFO - Variable-frequency oscillator.
- VXO - Variable crystal-based oscillator.
- PTO - Permeability-tuned oscillator.
- LMO - Linear master oscillator.
- PLL - Phase-locked loop (very common in modern equipment).
- Frequency Synthesis - Synthesized frequency generation, the most common type of oscillator in new systems.