Okay, so after some talking with some of the older wiser more experienced noders on e2, and not necessarily about these nodes, I've decided to finish a cycle of logging my workout. I think it has a place and some educational value, but enough about what I think.

So it has been a while since June 20th when I first logged a day of my 8 day split, but it so happens that today fell right after that last days workout.

Alright, so the routine calls for a back and bicep workout today. Remember, these are grouped together on this day because they are almost always synergists for each other; when you do a rowing motion for a back workout, you're contracting your biceps. Biceps are easier to isolate because of the nature of the muscle, but something like chinups use your latissimus dorsi (your back) a lot too. I can't stress the importance of a strong back. Don't become one of those guys that only works his biceps and chest because hes too huge for anything else.


Previous log: June 20, 2004

---BICEPS---
Today I did biceps first for a change. You may find it hard to complete a good range of motion in your back exercises if your arms become too tired from working the biceps first
Standing Dumbell Curl: -- Biceps Brachii
3x8 42.5lbs --- Standing curls usually promote bad form so be careful not to swing yourself into these.

Standing Barbell Curl: -- Biceps Brachii
~3x8 70lbs
Standing Hammer Curl: -- Brachioradialis and Brachii
~3x6 37.5lbs
--- These last two were part of a super set or an "armageddon" style workout. With only 10 seconds or less rest between each exercise you repeat the barbell curls untill failure then move to the hammer curls until failure, move back to the barbell and so on. The Hammer Curls work a muscle in your forearm called the Brachioradialis.
Also most people find the Hammer Curls work the inner, shorter head of your brachii, giving it more of a peak, while the normal curls work the longer outer part of the bicep. What is missing from this workout is preacher curls, which target the Brachialis or the "lower bicep", but we'll hit these later with a back workout.


---BACK---

Seated Wide Grip Row: -- Mostly felt in the Teres Minor/Major and Lats
3x8 110lbs
Lat Pull-down: -- Latissimus Dorsi
3x8 120lbs
Bent-over Row: -- A lot like seated row, general back
3x7 115lbs
Chin-ups: -- Latissimus Dorsi , Brachialis
3x6 bodyweight


Notes:
With the back it is fairly difficult to target any one muscle; most exercises are fairly general. Also I like to make sure I keep the weight relatively light for most back exercises and focus on form. I believe your back is a very important muscle group and affects everything about your physical life. What is missing here is an upper Trapezius workout, but shrugs do that for us on shoulder day, and an Erector Spinae exercise but thats taken care of on leg day... you'll see, stay tuned!