Today the workout routine calls for a leg workout today. Those following along may realize that this isn't necessarily following the plan. This is simply because the routine is never set in stone. Your body works with nature and your routine works with your environment. Due to one circumstance or another, the routine got a mixed up a bit. This still means, however, that all the days in the split will be hit, just the order may be changed slightly.

Now legs aren't the most common body part that you'll see worked out in a gym. In fact, I'd say 90% of the people at the gym for strength training never hit legs, and if they do its once in a blue moon. Sadly, I was once one of those people, chicken legs with a developed upper body. Soon I realized I had become too top heavy, yeah I had these big rippling muscles but my 100lbs girlfriend could push me over by leaning on me. So as I got more into bodybuilding as opposed to just working out, I realized the benefits and importance of overall muscle growth.
Now be prepared, leg workouts are gonna take you off your feet for the next day or two at first and if you've done them right. Also squats and deadlifts are considered in the bodybuilding world to be THE way to gain MASS


Previous log: June 20, 2004, July 5, 2004

Today I'll breakdown the legs into more categories than just legs or it'll seem kinda weird.

---QUADRICEPS---

Barbell Squats: -- Quadriceps, Gluteus Maximus
3x10 175lbs --- Performed to thighs slightly below parallel to floor.

Leg Extension: -- Quadriceps
3x12 70lbs

---HAMSTRINGS---

Straight Leg Deadlift: -- Hamstrings, Glutes, Erector Spinae (lower back)
3x10 195lbs


---Calves---

Seated Calf Raise: -- Soleus (not the major muscle which is Gastrocnemius, but it is also targeted to a lesser extent
3x15 90lbs

Notes:
BE CAREFUL WITH DEADLIFTS. Can't stress that enough. They replicate lifting in the exact way work safety advises you not to lift. Also note that reps are usually higher for leg exercises. I believe that since legs are such workhorses in your every day life, and due to the amount of use they get put through, they need a bit more repetitions before they realize this is above average work load which is what promotes muscle growth.
I also do not have a Gastrocnemius-targeting exercise here which is important. A good one is a standing calf raise on a smith machine. My soleus is fairly weak so that is why I'm targeting it.