Means "soldier" in many languages.

Soldat is an interesting little multiplayer game. I'd like to pretend it is that fairly realistic team based shoot-em-up you played last week to start with, and explain the differences.

Soldat is 2 dimensional, but you have jet boots which make up/down movement almost as easy as left/right. Thus, you can dodge in just as many directions as in that other game. But (on the bright side) this also means that there are far more teamkills. This prevalance of accidental teamkills, and the innate undefeatable lagginess that Soldat has make it an extraordinarily amusing game, provided you don't take it too seriously.

The beauty of Soldat is in the movement. In that respect it's almost a platform game, like N. Jumping over skips and the like without losing your momentum is exceedingly difficult, especially when some lucking scumbag is spraying bullets in your direction, so you if you jump too high you'll hit the ground as mush. Desperately chasing after an enemy has rarely been more fun, and less realistic.

According to the website, Soldat has a "Large community". I would describe the community as small but vibrant. At certain times there will be few well populated servers. On the other hand, after a month or two's playing you'll be greeted by half the server when you join. Unless you're one of those silent types.

Altogether, an interesting little game.