A measure of core abdominal strength, based on the most difficult sit-up technique a person can adequately perform. Only one sit-up needs to be executed, with knees at right angles and the feet not coming off the floor.

  • A level 7 sit-up ('elite') requires the person to bring their chest up to their thighs, with their hands behind their head and supporting a 5 kg weight.
  • A level 6 sit-up ('excellent') requires the person to bring their chest up to their thighs, with their hands behind their head and supporting a 2.5 kg weight.
  • A level 5 sit-up ('very good') requires the person to bring their chest up to their thighs, with their hands behind their head.
  • A level 4 sit-up ('good') requires the person to bring their forearms to their thighs, with their hands across their chest. Many police forces require as a minimum that candidates are capable of performing this kind of sit-up.
  • A level 3 sit-up ('average') requires the person to bring their chest to their thighs, with their hands together across their abdominals.
  • A level 2 sit-up ('fair') requires the person to bring their elbows to their thighs, with their hands touching their ears.
  • A level 1 sit-up ('poor') requires the person to bring their wrists to their thighs.
  • Failure to complete a level 1 sit-up results in a 'very poor' rating.

    One problem with this kind of test is that people with a relatively heavy or elongated upper body find it harder to execute a sit-up without their feet dangling in the air.