Australian classification laws currently only extend as high as MA15+ for video games, despite there being an R rating for movies. This has a significant impact on games which are strongly adult-themed (for example, games which are particularly violent). Many games are denied classification by the Office of Film and Literature Classification (OFLC) if they exceed the appropriateness of an MA15+ rating. An unrated game cannot be legally sold in Australia.

The lack of an R rating results in many games being banned from Australia, or being severely cut-down in content. Many people who argue against the introduction of an R rating often cite the reason of protecting children from inappropriate themes (A recent case involves a game being refused classification due to making reference to the drug Morphine). However, the R rating is designed to prevent children from being exposed to these games. A game which has been classified as R indicates that it is inappropriate for young children. The only way for a child to be exposed to an R-rated game is if an adult has allowed them to be. This is out of the control of the OFLC and falls into the responsibility of the parent or guardian. A total banning of the game is not a replacement for a parent’s judgement.

Another popular argument against an R rating is that violent video games promote violence. While some studies have been conducted which show that violent video games stimulate brain patterns which are characteristic of aggressive behaviour, this does not necessarily mean that people who play violent video games are more prone to committing acts of violence. It is quite likely that the opposite is true; people who are naturally prone to violence may be attracted to violent video games. If it were found that violent video games did, in fact, increase the likelihood of violence, by the same logic, violent movies would also need to be banned.

Australia falls behind many other countries with its rating system. In the United States and Canada, the Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB) has a Mature (M) and Adults Only (AO) rating to classify titles which are not suitable for people under 17 and 18 years old, respectively.
It needs to be accepted that many adults enjoy video games and are entitled to a gaming experience which is targeted towards an adult audience.