An all-too-common kind of movie theater. The classic movie theaters usually included only one screen in an ornately decorated building -- the setting you watched the movie in was often just as big a spectacle as the movie you went to see. But they were expensive, and they could only show one film at a time, so the multiplex was born. Instead of one screen, the multiplex includes many screens -- sometimes three or four, sometimes a dozen or more. To accomodate so many screens in one building, the individual screening rooms are reduced in size and most decorative frills are removed.

The good thing about multiplexes is that you have all those movies in one place. You can, in theory, show up for the first showing of the day and watch different movies all day long. The bad thing about multiplexes is that many of them are dull, joyless places, given over to zero-frills and slavery to the bottom line. Who wants to watch movies in a featureless box? On the bright side, more and more multiplexes are being built that try to put some of the spectacle back into going to the movies, with a lot more gilt and glitz (some of 'em even have curtains in front of the screen that part right before the film starts! Dude! Just like in the Old Days!), as well as better material comforts, like stadium seating, rocking seats, cupholders in the armrests, and meals, appetizers, and alcoholic beverages served during the movie. So maybe things aren't so bad after all...