I remember the day well, back in 1735, at Leeds Point, New Jersey. Mr. and Mrs. Leeds were a couple who lived out in the Pine Barrens with their 12 children. Yeah, that was back before anyone worried about contraception or abortion or the rhythm method or anything, and if the husband wanted some boinkie, he sure as hell was gonna get himself some boinkie.

Anyway, Mrs. Leeds wasn't that fond of spending her time (A) being pregnant and (B) giving birth, and when she found out that she was pregnant yet again, she said, "Well, God damn the little beast! It might as well be the devil!" Well, it was a tough pregnancy, and when the time for child-birthing finally came, Mrs. Leeds suffered through a more lengthy and difficult labor than you'd expect for a woman giving birth to her 13th child. And when the child finally clawed its way free, it was closer to devil than human. It had bat's wings, a horse's head, cloven hooves, and a barbed tail. It flew off into the night, its mother's screams still echoing through the countryside...

Since then, the Jersey Devil is seen occasionally. Back in January 17-22, 1909, Mrs. Leeds' youngest was seen in 30 different towns from Bristol, Pennsylvania to Salem, New Jersey. It showed up in a woman's backyard in Philadelphia and brawled with firefighters in West Collingswood, New Jersey. It's been described as a big, hairy humanoid (like Bigfoot), as a "walking alligator", as a "dog-monkey", and even as a "jabberwock". People still see it sometimes, usually under the influence of alcohol, overactive imaginations, or the love of a good hoax. But sometimes...

Primary research: Suppressed Transmission: The Second Broadcast by Kenneth Hite, "Libertatia or Death", pp. 82-84. And a little personal reminiscing...