A little known fact is that Native Americans were generally immune to Poison Oak. Other people of any ethnic background may be immune to it as well. I am mostly immune to it as I worked in it at quail ridge for 3 months and only once or twice noticed anything.

I think humans are suspectible to this just because they ahvent been around it as much as other animals (with the exception of Native Americans who have been here for thousands of years) Many plants have toxins in their leaves just to make them taste bad. I guess this one is particularly unpalatable to humans. Anyway, maybe its an argument for the existance of angry Native American gods.. Its a very interesting plant, it can grow in vine or shrub form, or even as a small tree. It likes moisture. It turns brilliant colors in the fall and even the bare stems in winter can afflict you.