I just returned from my yearly snow skiing adventure. The adventure isn't in the skiing, but in the fact that I go with over eighty teenagers. This is the fourth year my wife and I have gone on this combination of discipline, frost bite, bad food, and sleep deprivation. If it weren't for the fact that it is one of the most fun trips imaginable, I probably wouldn't go anymore.

Every year, there are a few things that make the weekend worth the time and effort and three immediately spring to mind for this year.

  • First, while gathering up our equipment and such on Sunday night, we found that mixed in among all of the coats and such, was an unknown jacket. We figured it was one of the kid's coat and took it back to our lodging.

    Upon further examination, we discovered it belonged to someone else. It was black and had credit cards, etc. as well as a picture ID. Initial searching found $28, but no number to call. We looked a while longer and found not only an emergency number, but an additional $900.

    We finally got the owner's name and met the owner's wife on our drive back yesterday. She couldn't believe that we would take the time to return it to her.

  • I began my quest to have the term Sweet Ginger Salmon! enter into the English vocabulary as a popular term of surprise. I am not sure if it will stretch much beyond Central South Carolina, but I am going to try.
  • Finally, probably the highlight of the weekend was when one of my students who had been asked to give a testimony of what her faith had done in her life, used a lesson I had once taught her to explain something. The concept of the our old nature vs. our new nature in Christ is not one of the easiest things in the world to get across to a high school student, but she nailed it.

    As I listened, I realized that there is no greater compliment to a teacher than when you see one of your students master that which you have been teaching them. I could not have been prouder.