A note on the weather in Oregon: first, remember that if you come from out of state (especially if you come from LA, you are not allowed to complain. Even if you are in the middle of a group of natives whining about the lack of sunshine, you are invited to commiserate. Oregonians are offended when foreigners mention the nasty weather.

On a slightly more serious note, it should be noted that most of Oregon, size wise, is not rainy at all, but is rather desert or plains. However, this is mostly the sparsly populatled Eastern region of the state. The Willamette Valley (where most of the people live) while it has many gloomy, drizzly days, actually has about as much rain (40 inches) as Atlanta, GA or New York, NY. Parts of the coast, on the other hand, actually can have as much as 200 inches of rain a year.

The other interesting thing about the weather in Oregon, is despite the rain, and the fact that the name of the state comes from the French word for hurricane (at least that is one story), is very moderate in that there is very few weather events that turn into crisis situations. In other words, it may rain, but it doesn't flood. Tornados and Hurricanes are also once in a lifetime events. An exception to this rule is the Oregon Flood of 1996 when the Willamette got so full of water that they almost had to move a submarine to higher ground.

On the other hand, Oregon, unlike Georgia or New York, does have an active Volcano on its skyline, so we shouldn't feel too secure.


By coincidence, Chattering Magpie chooses to node the Columbus Day Storm right at the time I write this write up mentioning how rare serious storms are in Oregon. Well, Columbus Day was one of them.