The Amtrak Rail Pass is a program by Amtrak, the United States' semipublic long distance rail agency, that allows passengers to take many trips on the train for a 30 day period. The name "Rail Pass" is a little deceptive, because the pass is not an unlimited hop on/hop off pass. The Rail Pass holder still needs to "buy" tickets with their pass.

Before giving an explanation of how the system works, I want to point out that the exact technical details of the program can change from time to time, so if you are reading this in the future, please double-check on the exact terms of the program.

Currently, the Amtrak Rail Pass gives a passenger 10 segments to use in 30 days. A "segment" is defined as any time a passenger boards and deboards a train. Currently, a passenger can choose their itinerary before travel, or can choose them as they travel. However, the tickets they purchase with their rail pass have to be available (not sold out), so it is best to plan a few days before hand. Also, while almost all Amtrak trains are part of the program, a few, such as the Acela high speed train, and the Autotrain are not. Also, the Amtrak Rail Pass only allows purchase of Coach tickets. At one time, it was possible to pay the difference in prices to upgrade from Coach to Business or even a roommette or room, but currently that does not seem possible. All travel must be completed within 30 days of the first trip on the pass. There are a few more stipulations, but since they are technical and likely to change, there is no reason to describe them all.

From a practical standpoint, and as someone who has completed a Rail Pass trip, there are a few important tips:

  • A "segment" can be anywhere from a few miles to a cross-country trip. One segment could be Chicago to Naperville, or it could be Chicago to Los Angeles. It is possible to buy Amtrak tickets separately during the time of the pass without using the pass, or just to buy separate means of transportation. For example, on my trip, I wanted to go from Boston to Portland, Maine and back...but didn't want to use two segments...so I just bought a round trip bus ticket.
  • Along with that, knowing a bit about the overall Amtrak rail map helps a lot, in avoiding two segment trips. An Amtrak trip from Chicago to San Francisco is a two segment trip---a trip from Chicago to Emeryville is a one segment trip. (Followed by a local bus route across the bridge). In general, you will probably be passing through Chicago a lot on a Rail Pass trip. Also, knowing Amtrak trains schedules allows a rider to make same day connections, instead of waiting overnight. Some Amtrak trains have one day connections in one direction, and overnight connections in the other direction. Also, some cities, such as Cleveland or Salt Lake City have trains that stop in the middle of the night, making them poor Amtrak destinations.
  • Being familiar with Amtrak train travel in general is a good idea before starting a trip. Having your first Amtrak trip be a 30 day trip criss-crossing the country is a bit daunting, so I would suggest most travelers find out if they like train travel first!

Practically speaking, an Amtrak Rail Pass might be the best way to see large sections of the country in a short period of time. Maybe someone in a private jet, or two or three people taking turns driving a car could equal it, but generally, the Amtrak Rail Pass is the best way to see the most, quickest! On my Rail Pass trip (under slightly different rules at the time), I saw Chicago, New York City, Boston, Washington DC, New Orleans, Dallas, Denver, the San Francisco Bay area and Portland, Oregon...along with many places in-between. When people ask me about what the trip was like, and whether I felt uncomfortable sleeping in a coach seat and eating train pizza for days at a time, I say that ten years later, what I remember is getting to visit New Orleans, see the Rockies in Glenwood Canyon, and cross the Mississippi multiple times---not the inconveniences. So for someone who wants to see a lot, the Amtrak Rail Pass is a great option.

More details about the pass can be found at: https://www.amtrak.com/tickets/departure-rail-pass.html