By Length:
Often professors dictate a certain length for term papers, usually a minimum number of pages. There are several ways to BS this length.


1. By changing your spacing from double spaced to 2.1 spacing. The differences is indistinguishable to the human eye. However, every 10th line that you type you get an extra line you don’t have to write compared to only double spaced.
2. By changing your font size from 12 to 13. This is a bit more risky, because this is more noticeable. The reason for doing this is the same as above there is less you have to write to meet the minimum number of pages.
3. By changing the margins. This works much like changing your spacing. By changing it only slightly it is undetectable, but still reduces that amount of content you need to write.

By Length Advanced:
Some professors have caught on to the above BS methods and now dictate not only a minimum length but a font, and spacing as well. When this is the case BS must switch from simple length to advanced length BS.

1. Never use contractions. “couldn’t” takes up less space than “could not.” While this only adds a single extra typed character over the course of a complete paper it can add up.
2. Make sure that all paragraphs end with a sentence that goes over to a new line but one or two words. This is done, so that when you hit return for a new paragraph the rest of that line is left blank is unneeded to be filled.
3. Try to use “big words”. This serves two functions. One, it makes your professor think you have a larger vocabulary than you do. Two, big words are often just that big. Thus they take up more space then smaller words that might mean the same thing.

By Content:
Sometimes you have to write a paper the day before it’s due, or you never just read the book, or have done no reach. This requires the risky kind of BS; BSing by content. Many of the methods below are simple suggestions, good content BS is an art form.

1. Writing from the Cliff Notes or movie. Who really has time to read all of Hamlet? The Cliff Notes and the movies are good quick substitutes.
2. Make up facts. 72% of statistics are made up on the spot anyway. No professor realistic has time to check all of your facts you quote.
3. Make up sources for your made up facts. An imaginary source always seems to have just the fact or saying your looking for.