Super Hexagon is a fast paced ... I actually have no idea what genre this game belongs to. It bears a superficial resemblance to Tetris and other geometry puzzle games but the game play is about as far from a puzzle as you can get. Call it a twitch reflex game because you need to be fast and precise. The objective of the game is to guide a triangle/cursor looking thing around a hexagon to avoid the walls that are contracting toward the center. Easy right?

You won't last ten seconds the first thirty games. I feel confident saying that about nearly anyone. There are a couple of reasons for this. One hit, you lose, begin again. The whole image spins and pulses to the beat, reversing direction as soon as you get used to it. This makes just seeing what you are doing a challenge. Once you learn how to separate visual noise from signal to the point that you don't even notice when the image reverses you are half way to being able to play reliably but the other half is far harder. You are not fast enough to win Super Hexagon. To clarify, I am speaking to the little homunculus behind your eyes. Your body is perfectly capable of winning, given enough time for your brain (not your mind) to learn the pattern. And that's what I love about it. Super Hexagon taught me zen. The more intention you have to win the quicker you lose. This game does not give you the luxury of choice. You never get to make a decision, your only agency is when to quit. I have played games that required a lot of flow but this is the only game I've ever played that was only flow.

If you want to try to achieve a blaring, blinking satori of your own but aren't sure if you'll be able to get into it at all play the demo here. The actual game is better and smoother. If you ever discover that you've achieved super humanly fast cognition and can see bullets in flight there is always the open source clone, Open Hexagon.