Mead From Somewhere

Compared to the other meads on here, this is an extremely primitive setup, and probably produces a pretty inferior product - I've got no way of knowing how strong it is, for starters. On the other hand, it's a nice way to find out if you like making your own alcoholic drinks, and it's my first foray into home brewing, so it's here for fun and posterity.

One lemon
One and a half pounds of dark, clear honey (I'm going to start using stuff from my own hives as soon as I can get a happy swarm)
half and ounce of hops
Yeast - Preferably brewers' (Champagne yeast is really, really nice), but I've just been using whatever's kicking around the lab
A really big bucket.

Peel the rind off one lemon, avoiding the white pith. Save the juice in a teacup. Dissolve one and a half pounds of dark, clear honey in a pint and three quarters of water in a really really big bucket. We mean it about the big bucket. Put six and a quarter pints of water in a pan with half an ounce of hops and the lemon rind. Boil this for half an hour. Sieve this into the really really big bucket with the honey. Add a teaspoon of yeast, and the lemon juice. Use a bit of clean cheesecloth (I sterilise it in the pressure cooker) to keep the dust and general unpleasantness out. If you're feeling clever and/or rich, invest in a really big bottle with a swan-neck water filter instead of a bucket.

Ferment in the warm for four days, then set aside for three weeks somewhere cold and dark somewhere before drinking. Drink with caution. Feed with gleeful abandon to an unsuspecting a consenting lab rat.

**

I have no idea why this recipe is in here, since I very rarely made this, but it’s very good. It does, however, tend to stink out the kitchen/cellar/attic or wherever one decides to make it.

Part of Devilfloss' Vegetarian Cookbook: A Simple and Accurate Guide To The Revolution