A quick, but incredibly luxurious tasting dish, perfectly suited for giving the boss dinner, or impressing the in-laws.
- Pan-fry chicken in butter until browned, turning once (about 7 minutes).
- Dissolve mustard in hot chicken stock.
- Add vinegar and tarragon to stock, top up with cream.
- Add sauce to chicken pan and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and tender, stirring regularly to prevent burning.
- Serve with boiled new potatoes and vegetables: asparagus, sugar snap peas, mangetout, fresh green beans or baby corn are all ideal.
This sauce is a little runny, and can be thickened with a roux or a paste of cornflour (cornstarch) and water, if you wish, but that reduces the piquancy
In the unlikely event of you having any left-over sauce, use it in scrambled eggs the following day, it gives them a lovely zing.
With all due respect to the author of the recipe below
, these are entirely different dishes - though I have since cooked his and can testify it is quite as divine as my own.