This is my favorite winter soup. It's hearty, tasty, and easy to cook. The simple directions below will allow you too to partake of its creamy, chickeny goodness.

Ingredients:

  • 1/4 lb - butter
  • 2 cups - small diced spanish onions
  • 5 thinly sliced garlic cloves
  • 2 tablespoons - curry powder
  • 1-1/2 tablespoons - cumin
  • 1/4 teaspoon - nutmeg
  • pinch - cayenne pepper
  • 3 tablespoons - kosher salt
  • 1 tablespoon - white pepper
  • 4 to 5 - whole bay leaves
  • 1 quart - chicken stock
  • 2 cups - medium diced Yukon potatoes
  • 2 cups - medium diced chicken breast
  • 3-1/2 cups - fresh corn kernels
  • 1 quart - heavy cream

Procedure:

Melt the butter. Saute the onions and garlic for about 3-4 minutes (don't brown them). Add all the spices and allow the soup to cook for a minute or so. Add the chicken stock, bring it to a boil, then reduce it to half. Add the potatoes and cook for about 6-8 minutes (depending on the size of each potato piece). Add the diced chicken and the corn kernels, and allow them to cook for around 10 minutes. Add the heavy cream and cook it for approximately 10 minutes to let the ingredients and flavors to blend together.

If you want the chowder to be thicker (I always do), cook it longer at low heat or add 1-2 tablespoons of corn starch, and dissolve it with a little water.

When all these steps are done, adjust the seasoning to taste. Be wary, if you add too much the soup can become overly spicy. Use the minimal amounts of spice at first. As you follow the other steps, test the soup and add spice accordingly.