Pumpkin Town is a whimsical, entertaining, and obscure little freeware RPG made by Gargoyle13. The website can be found at
http://www.memento-mori.com/pumpkintown

The game itself is sort of hard to describe. Imagine a cubical world, the size of a small town in 1950s America (including the surrounding countryside), only populated with monsters, ghosts and ghouls right out of The Nightmare Before Christmas; Halloweentown meets Anytown, USA, if you will. Demons, witches (of both good and bad types), werewolves, dragons, spooks and goblins, and other creepy crawlies, all living in harmony. Most of the time, at least. Oh, and there's no daytime, only Twilight and Night. Don't ask me why, it's a long story.

During Twilight hours (from 5 PM to 8:59 PM), Pumpkin Town is ruled by the kindly, if enigmatic, owner of the Yum-Yum Candy Factory, known only as Uncle Hieronymous. At Night (from 9 PM to 4:59 AM), the fiendish uber-brat Queen Knuckles rules with an iron fist and a kick in the shin. The rest of the hobgoblins and things that go bump in the night just try to get by in life.

So, where do the player characters fit into all this? Glad you asked.

The PCs take the roles of such monsters, and try to deal with everyday life in a land with a candy-based economy, inhabited by mean people (or things) who prefer the "trick" part of trick or treat. Sounds dull? Well, it's great fun, as long as you're not a combat monster or something. Those are the only monsters frowned upon around here.