I recently met David. He was reading as a part of the Drue Heinz Lecture Series at the Carnegie Museum of Natural History in Pittsburgh. He read for two hours, then signed books for at least an hour.

I waited patiently in line to have him sign the copy of Barrel Fever, I was going to give to my grandfather who couldn't come with me. Several spots ahead of me was a woman who was at least seventy and she had a bag with three books in it. Realizing that Sedaris must be tired she apologized to him commenting on how tired his hand must be.

His response was something like, "Oh no! I could go on signing for hours, but that's what happens when you masturbate as much as I do." The woman running the lecture series who was standing next to him, had to prop herself up against one of the columns nearby she was laughing so hard.

When it was my turn, I told him how much I liked Naked, and we discussed what I was studying and I happened to mention that I read his latest story in Esquire. It was about David and his boyfriend going to have their IQ's tested by Mensa in Paris. At the end of the story he finds out that he in fact isn't a genius, he is as his boyfriend put it, "Think donkey, then take it down a few notches." I told him that he can't be that unintelligent, with all his success. He responded with something like, "No. I really am that stupid. Some days I can't believe I get away with being a writer."