A zone is the combination of the top level domain (currently, these include: .com, .edu, .org, .net, .gov,.int, .mil, .arpa, and the country codes) and the secondary domain. Some examples of zones would be: slashdot.org, colorado.edu, and ibm.com.

Many refer to this as the "domain name," although this is incorrect. A domain name includes both the zone, and any additional specifying information (further subdomains or a hostname). For my above examples, cs.colorado.edu, ftp.slashdot.org, and www.ibm.com would all be "domain names."

According to the book "DNS and BIND",


A zone contains the domain names
that the domain within the same
domain name contains, except for
domain names in delegated subdomains.

Say what?

"Zone" is also the title of a poem written by Guillaume Apollinaire in 1912. "Zone" was published in his Alcools collection in 1913 as the first piece in the book, although it was the final one composed for the sequence (Bloch, 2017). The Alcools (tr. as Spirits) collection contains numerous other well-regarded verses, including "L'Adieu" and "Le Pont Mirabeau." Perhaps the publisher placed "Zone" as the lead-off piece in the collection to catch the eyes of bookstall browsers; or alternatively, Apollinaire may have chosen to give it that position during his manuscript preparation.


In References below I provide a link to a second, posthumous edition of Alcools, which is a digitalized photographic reproduction of the Gallimard 1920 publication, so that you can easily see the remarkable French poem "Zone" or peruse Alcools further if interested. Apollinaire died in the Spanish Flu pandemic of 1918, age 38.


References

Apollinaire, Guillaume. (1920). "Zone" pages 7-15 in Alcools. Paris: Gallimard. https://archive.org/details/alcoolspomes1800apol/page/n5

Bloch, R. Howard. (2017). One Toss of the Dice: ...how a poem made us modern. NY: Liveright/Norton. (includes a photographic reproduction of Apollinaire's calligramme "Il Pleut").

Zone (?), n. [F. zone, L. zona, Gr. ; akin to to gird, Lith. jsta to gird, Zend yah.]

1.

A girdle; a cincture.

[Poetic]

An embroidered zone surrounds her waist. Dryden.

Loose were her tresses seen, her zone unbound. Collins.

2. Geog.

One of the five great divisions of the earth, with respect to latitude and temperature.

⇒ The zones are five: the torrid zone, extending from tropic to tropic 46° 56&min;, or 23° 28&min; on each side of the equator; two temperate or variable zones, situated between the tropics and the polar circles; and two frigid zones, situated between the polar circles and the poles.

Commerce . . . defies every wind, outrides every tempest, and invades. Bancroft.

3. Math.

The portion of the surface of a sphere included between two parallel planes; the portion of a surface of revolution included between two planes perpendicular to the axis.

Davies & Peck (Math. Dict.)

4. Nat. Hist.]

(a)

A band or stripe extending around a body.

(b)

A band or area of growth encircling anything; as, a zone of evergreens on a mountain; the zone of animal or vegetable life in the ocean around an island or a continent; the Alpine zone, that part of mountains which is above the limit of tree growth.

5. Crystallog.

A series of planes having mutually parallel intersections.

6.

Circuit; circumference.

[R.]

Milton.

7.

(Biogeography)

An area or part of a region characterized by uniform or similar animal and plant life; a life zone; as, Littoral zone, Austral zone, etc. The zones, or life zones, commonly recognized for North America are Arctic, Hudsonian, Canadian, Transition, Upper Austral, Lower Austral, and Tropical.

8.

(Cryst.)

A series of faces whose intersection lines with each other are parallel.

9.

(Railroad Econ.)

(a)

The aggregate of stations, in whatsoever direction or on whatsoever line of railroad, situated between certain maximum and minimum limits from a point at which a shipment of traffic originates.

(b)

Any circular or ring-shaped area within which the street-car companies make no differences of fare.

10.

In the United States parcel-post system, any of the areas about any point of shipment for which but one rate of postage is charged for a parcel post shipment from that point. The rate increases from within outwards. The first zone includes the unit of area "(a quadrangle 30 minutes square)" in which the place of shipment is situated and the 8 contiguous units; the outer limits of the second to the seventh zones, respectively, are approximately 150, 300, 600, 1000, 1400, and 1800 miles from the point of shipment; the eighth zone includes all units of area outside the seventh zone.

Abyssal zone. Phys. Geog. See under Abyssal. -- Zone axis Crystallog., a straight line passing through the center of a crystal, to which all the planes of a given zone are parallel.

 

© Webster 1913.


Zone, v. t.

To girdle; to encircle.

[R.]

Keats.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.