I think doctoring makes one cynical.

Maybe there are Marcus Welby docs out there, but I don't know any. Doctoring messes up one's scale. A wound is compared to black horrifying gangrene to both knees, pain is compared to screaming delerium tremens or full thickness burns or heroin withdrawal, one in four adults can be diagnosed with a psychiatric disorder at any one time.... so then, what is normal?

What is normal for relationships? How many deeply happy marriages do you know? If half end in divorce, what are the odds?

Where is the line in love? Where is the line between loving the other person no matter what and wait, that is domestic violence. Where is the line for abuse? Do people agree on it?

No. They do not. What I think is behavior that is frightening may be normal behavior to my partner. Is it ok to drink until one is drunk? I don't want to be around it. I see enough of that shit at work. I deal with addiction daily. If someone wants to get drunk, they can choose to do that. But not around me. And no, I don't want to date them. And if they are working themselves to death, is that ok? Well, I might be a tad hypersensitive to that, since I nearly managed that myself. So I don't want to be around that either. That might be viewed as noble self-sacrifice. But at work, I see the caregiver die before the recipient of the care, all too often. Especially in older couples, where neither one wants to let anyone in the house to help....

....but then, some people do hear me. A woman thanked me last week for saying she should quit covering for her husband. She was afraid, but backed off. He is able to do more than she expected and he also is more respectful and kind to her. She thanked me and I got all shy and tongue-tied.

My definition of love is listening. Someone who listens and hears and lets me listen and hear. When each person can say what they are thinking and feeling and wanting and worried about.... because if only one person is speaking, if only one person is determining what the relationship is, it is not a relationship. It is control.

We don't want to be controlled. I don't want to be controlled. But I also don't want to be around certain behaviors. I am a snake biting my own tail, back where I started....


let go

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.