This is a recipe that my wife and I love. I've made it so often that no description is necessary other than for her to ask me to make Spicy Chicken, and this is what pops out of the kitchen.

Ingredients:
4 boneless chicken breasts
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tsp vinegar (any will work, I use anything from apple cider vinegar to rice wine vinegar)
1/8 tsp ginger
1 tsp chili garlic sauce (I use Huy Fong brand, with the rooster on the label)
1/2 cup chicken stock
3 tbsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp garlic powder

Pound chicken breasts until uniformly 1/2" thick. Salt and pepper to taste. With preheated skillet on high, sauté in 2 tbsp olive oil until browned on both sides. Remove breasts, and keep warm in a 200° oven. Remove pan from heat. Add vinegar to pan and stir to deglaze. Add soy sauce, chili garlic sauce, garlic powder, ginger, and chicken stock. Reduce liquid under medium heat,stirring constantly, until thick. Add brown sugar. Reduce, stirring constantly, until thick again. Return cooked chicken breasts to pan, coat with sauce, and serve immediately.
This recipe also works well with pork chops. If you can't find the Huy Fong brand chili garlic sauce, some cayenne pepper will sub well. I sometimes add a little nuoc mam to the sauce with the soy to mix up the flavor.

I'd recommend serving this with some spinach, cooked simply in minimum butter with salt, accompanied by Roasted Red Potato Slabs with Rosemary.


Lately, I've been bored with this recipe. Twiddling it with coriander and fennel seed has given it new life. I've also switched to granulated garlic from garlic powder, because the granulated has a better flavor. It also doesn't make you gag when airborne.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.