Price fixing is the term used to describe an (often illegal) agreement between manufacturers to keep a specified, higher than normal price on products which would normally be competing with each other.

Much price fixing goes undiscovered for some time; when it's uncovered by consumer advocate groups or others, people usually aren't surprised, as they always thought prices for the product/service in question were too high anyway.

In mid-2001, for example, three separate price fixing rackets in Europe were uncovered in the space of a few weeks. The first was strictly an Irish phenomenon, whereby cinema ticket prices were being kept artificially high by a group of Irish cinemas (now £5.90 - more than $6 for a single ticket to a movie). No one was surprised by this; well, the cinemas obviously had to attempt to be surprised

A few weeks later, an announcement was made stating that a 2-year study of mobile phone roaming charges in Europe were being kept too high. It also found that it was incredibly difficult for customers to get a list of roaming charges from their providers. None of this came as any surprise to Europeans, who had known for years not to use their phone abroad unless they had a very healthy bank balance.

Shortly afterwards, a consumer association found that DVD prices in Europe were far higher than could be justified by their costs (they'd already complained about music CDs a few years beforehand). The Matrix DVD in Ireland, for example, costs around the equivalent of $25. This price is similar in other European countries.

Other global examples abound; unfortunately, the topic is not one which immediately attracts much attention from the public, even when mentioned repeatedly in media reports.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.