graffiti term: short for "masterpiece".

1. A small folded piece of paper containing approximately one ounce of morphine, heroin, or cocaine. 2. A pistol or revolver. 3. A share of loot or of any criminal income. 4. Part ownership of any establishment or racket. 5. A knife, a razor or any similar weapon. "There's a couple of pieces stashed (hidden) upstairs. Get 'em quick, I'm in a swindle (trouble)."

- american underworld dictionary - 1950
Piece is also a slang term for "piece of shit".

E.g. My old computer is a slow piece!

One of my christian friends apparently found it difficult ot contain his amusement when he was at church shortly after I introduced this meaning to him, and the minister wished that "the peace of the lord be with you".

Sure, a simple definition of piece is a "a pipe which pot is smoked from", but that leaves so much more to be desired to understand the connotations that surround this world. Generally, pipes which earn the title of being a "piece", are crazy colored glass affairs, sport a carb, and have a nice shallow bowl, so not to much ash builds up. It should be noted, for those who don't deal with pot on more then a semi-regular basis, that a piece is never a bong.

But, back to the drug community, a piece is something to proud of. 

No lie.

Within any drug community, even poorer ones, everyone has their own piece, and everyone is always proud of it. Even teens from low-income families, from the poorer side of a town, will drop upwards of one hundred dollars on these hunks of glass, and be eternally proud of it.

That's just crazy.

Piece (?), n. [OE. pece, F. piece, LL. pecia, petia, petium, probably of Celtic origin; cf. W. peth a thing, a part, portion, a little, Armor. pez, Gael. & Ir. cuid part, share. Cf. Petty.]

1.

A fragment or part of anything separated from the whole, in any manner, as by cutting, splitting, breaking, or tearing; a part; a portion; as, a piece of sugar; to break in pieces.

Bring it out piece by piece. Ezek. xxiv. 6.

2.

A definite portion or quantity, as of goods or work; as, a piece of broadcloth; a piece of wall paper.

3.

Any one thing conceived of as apart from other things of the same kind; an individual article; a distinct single effort of a series; a definite performance

; especially: (a)

A literary or artistic composition; as, a piece of poetry, music, or statuary

. (b)

A musket, gun, or cannon; as, a battery of six pieces; a following piece

. (c)

A coin; as, a sixpenny piece; -- formerly applied specifically to an English gold coin worth 22 shillings

. (d)

A fact; an item; as, a piece of news; a piece of knowledge

.

4.

An individual; -- applied to a person as being of a certain nature or quality; often, but not always, used slightingly or in contempt.

"If I had not been a piece of a logician before I came to him."

Sir P. Sidney.

Thy mother was a piece of virtue. Shak.

His own spirit is as unsettled a piece as there is in all the world. Coleridge.

<-- a piece of cake, a task easily accomplished. a piece of work, a disparaging term for a person considered to have an excess of some undesirable quality; esp. difficult or eccentric person. Piece of ass vulgar term for a woman, considered as a partner in sexual intercourse -->

5. Chess

One of the superior men, distinguished from a pawn.

6.

A castle; a fortified building.

[Obs.]

Spenser.

Of a piece, of the same sort, as if taken from the same whole; like; -- sometimes followed by with. Dryden. -- Piece of eight, the Spanish piaster, formerly divided into eight reals. -- To give a piece of one's mind to, to speak plainly, bluntly, or severely to (another). Thackeray. -- Piece broker, one who buys shreds and remnants of cloth to sell again. -- Piece goods, goods usually sold by pieces or fixed portions, as shirtings, calicoes, sheetings, and the like.

 

© Webster 1913.


Piece, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Pieced (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Piecing (?).]

1.

To make, enlarge, or repair, by the addition of a piece or pieces; to patch; as, to piece a garment; -- often with out.

Shak.

2.

To unite; to join; to combine.

Fuller.

His adversaries . . . pieced themselves together in a joint opposition against him. Fuller.

 

© Webster 1913.


Piece (?), v. i.

To unite by a coalescence of parts; to fit together; to join.

"It pieced better."

Bacon.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.