An object or person on the same social or organizational level. Used commonly in society to refer to a person who is considered one's equal. Also used in technology to refer to a computer relationship between equals (as opposed to a&client-server relationship).

Peer is a Norwegian boy's forename, a Norwegian version of Peter, as in Peer Gynt, a fantasy drama by Norwegian author Henrik Ibsen where the young hero is named Peer Gynt.

Peers in France were somewhat different from their English counterparts. The original peers were 12, being the most important of the king of France's vassals in the Middle Ages. They were the archbishop-duke of Reims, the bishops-dukes of Laon and Langres, the bishops-counts of Beauvais, Châlons, and Noyons, the dukes of Burgundy, Normandy, and Aquitaine, and the counts of Toulouse, Flanders, and Champagne.

By the end of the Middle Ages, however, the non-ecclesiastical peerages had died out or been absorbed by the French crown. Eventually, new peerages began to be created. First, all princes of the blood were peers, and all noblemen holding peerages as conferred by the Crown. Peers ranked above all others, except for the royal family and princes of the blood. Most of them were dukes. In addition to various honorific privileges, they were automatic members of the Paris Parlement, and in case of criminal accusations, could be tried only by that body.

Peerages were abolished during the Revolution.

Peer (?), v. i. [imp. & p.p Peered (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Peering.] [OF. parir, pareir equiv. to F. paraitre to appear, L. parere. Cf. Appear.]

1.

To come in sight; to appear.

[Poetic]

So honor peereth in the meanest habit. Shak.

See how his gorget peers above his gown! B. Jonson.

2. [Perh. a different word; cf. OE. piren, LG. piren. Cf. Pry to peep.]

To look narrowly or curiously or intently; to peep; as, the peering day.

Milton.

Peering in maps for ports, and piers, and roads. Shak.

As if through a dungeon grate he peered. Coleridge.

 

© Webster 1913.


Peer, n. [OE. per, OF. per, F. pair, fr. L. par equal. Cf. Apparel, Pair, Par, n., Umpire.]

1.

One of the same rank, quality, endowments, character, etc.; an equal; a match; a mate.

In song he never had his peer. Dryden.

Shall they consort only with their peers? I. Taylor.

2.

A comrade; a companion; a fellow; an associate.

He all his peers in beauty did surpass. Spenser.

3.

A nobleman; a member of one of the five degrees of the British nobility, namely, duke, marquis, earl, viscount, baron; as, a peer of the realm.

A noble peer of mickle trust and power. Milton.

House of Peers, The Peers, the British House of Lords. See Parliament. -- Spiritual peers, the bishops and archibishops, or lords spiritual, who sit in the House of Lords.

 

© Webster 1913.


Peer v. t.

To make equal in rank.

[R.]

Heylin.

 

© Webster 1913.


Peer v. t.

To be, or to assume to be, equal.

[R.]

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.