Of*fend (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Offended; p. pr. & vb. n. Offending.] [OF. offendre, L. offendere, offensum; ob (see Ob-) + fendere (in comp.) to thrust, dash. See Defend.]

1.

To strike against; to attack; to assail.

[Obs.]

Sir P. Sidney.

2.

To displease; to make angry; to affront.

A brother offended is harder to be won than a strong city. Prov. xviii. 19.

3.

To be offensive to; to harm; to pain; to annoy; as, strong light offends the eye; to offend the conscience.

4.

To transgress; to violate; to sin against.

[Obs.]

Marry, sir, he hath offended the law. Shak.

5. Script.

To oppose or obstruct in duty; to cause to stumble; to cause to sin or to fall.

[Obs.]

Who hath you misboden or offended. Chaucer.

If thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out... And if thy right hand offend thee, cut it off. Matt. v. 29, 3O.

Great peace have they which love thy law, and nothing shall offend them. Ps. cxix. 165.

 

© Webster 1913.


Of*fend", v. i.

1.

To transgress the moral or divine law; to commit a crime; to stumble; to sin.

Whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all. James ii. 10.

If it be a sin to cevet honor, I am the most offending soul alive. Shak.

2.

To cause dislike, anger, or vexation; to displease.

I shall offend, either to detain or give it. Shak.

To offend against, to do an injury or wrong to; to commit an offense against. "We have offended against the Lord already."

2 Chron. xxviii. 13.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.