A type of transition in film editing where one image is briefly superimposed on another, and then the first image fades away.

A stronger transition than a simple cut, used to denote a separation in the action.

When one image fades in as the other fades out, it may be called a crossfade. Sometimes lap dissolves are chained one after another to create an ethereal effect popular with music video directors.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.