Femoral torsion is a naturally occuring condition in all children that usually goes away within the first few years of birth. All children are intoed when they are born with the toes naturally turning outward as their bones grow. The head and neck of the ball joint at the top of the femur is turned inward and slightly forward. the amount of antiversion at birth is 40 degrees which decreases (usually) to 15 degrees at maturity.

In some children, the femoral neck antiversion doesn't decrease at all, but stays excessive in relation to age.

The most obvious symptom is intoeing (pigeon toes), and this is usually the reason the condition is is brought to the attention of a doctor. The condition is most often initially diagnosed in children aged 3-8. the child will stand and walk with the knees and toes pointed inward. A less obvious symptom is a peculiar way of sitting called the "W-position" (or sometimes "television position") where the child sits with the inner knees flat on the floor and their feet beside their hips. this position should be discouraged as it keeps the legs rotated inward and will worsen the condition. Children should be encouraged to sit indian style. In some cases, this manner of sitting can be either a cause or a symptom.

The most common treatment is corrective shoes that will turn the legs outward, however shoes that concentrate only on the feet or lower legs will not be as effective as the problem lies in the hips.

     _
    ( )    The "W", or "television"
    _|_    position, as best diagrammed
   / | \   with ascii
 _   |   _
  \_/ \_/

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.