A*gre", A*gree" (#), adv. [F. a gr'e. See Agree.]

In good part; kindly.

[Obs.]

Rom. of R.

 

© Webster 1913.


A*gree" (#), v. i. [imp. & p. p. Agreed (#); p. pr. & vb. n. Agreeing.] [F. agr'eer to accept or receive kindly, fr. a gr'e; a (L. ad) + gr'e good will, consent, liking, fr. L. gratus pleasing, agreeable. See Grateful.]

1.

To harmonize in opinion, statement, or action; to be in unison or concord; to be or become united or consistent; to concur; as, all parties agree in the expediency of the law.

If music and sweet poetry agree. Shak.

Their witness agreed not together. Mark xiv. 56.

The more you agree together, the less hurt can your enemies do you. Sir T. Browne.

2.

To yield assent; to accede; -- followed by to; as, to agree to an offer, or to opinion.

3.

To make a stipulation by way of settling differences or determining a price; to exchange promises; to come to terms or to a common resolve; to promise.

Agree with thine adversary quickly. Matt. v. 25.

Didst not thou agree with me for a penny ? Matt. xx. 13.

4.

To be conformable; to resemble; to coincide; to correspond; as, the picture does not agree with the original; the two scales agree exactly.

5.

To suit or be adapted in its effects; to do well; as, the same food does not agree with every constitution.

6. Gram.

To correspond in gender, number, case, or person.

⇒ The auxiliary forms of to be are often employed with the participle agreed. "The jury were agreed." Macaulay. "Can two walk together, except they be agreed ?" Amos iii. 3. The principal intransitive uses were probably derived from the transitive verb used reflexively. "I agree me well to your desire." Ld. Berners.

Syn. -- To assent; concur; consent; acquiesce; accede; engage; promise; stipulate; contract; bargain; correspond; harmonize; fit; tally; coincide; comport.

 

© Webster 1913.


A*gree" (#), v. t.

1.

To make harmonious; to reconcile or make friends.

[Obs.]

Spenser.

2.

To admit, or come to one mind concerning; to settle; to arrange; as, to agree the fact; to agree differences.

[Obs.]

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.