Tachikoma: So, will we be sent back to the lab too?
Batou: Wha...? Who's been telling you that?
Tachikoma: Well, it's just that the way the Major's been looking at us lately is kinda scary.
Batou: Oh, is that all? The major's always scary, remember? I think you guys are doing a fine job.
Tachikoma: You really think so?
Batou: What, you're still worried about that?
Tachikoma: Yeah... It just seems like the Major is angry about what we've acquired recently.
Batou: "Acquired"? Acquired what?
Tachikoma: Well, it's ... Individuality.
Batou: Individuality?
Tachikoma: Yeah! And you know that "existence of God" thing that I had trouble understanding before? I think I am starting to understand it now. Maybe, just maybe, it's a concept that's similar to a zero in mathematics. In other words, it's a symbol that denies the absence of meaning, the meaning that's necessitated by the delineation of one system from another. In analog, that's God. In digital, it's zero. what do you think? Also, our basic construction is digital, right? So for the time being, no matter how much data we accumulate, we'll never have a Ghost. But analog-based people like you, Batou-san, no matter how many digital components you add through cyberization or prosthetics, your Ghost will never be damaged. Plus, you can even die 'cause you've got a Ghost. You're so lucky. Tell me, what's it feel like to have a Ghost?
Batou: How's it feel...? No, I take back what I said earlier. You're pretty messed up, all right.
An excerpt from the series Ghost In The Shell Stand Alone Complex. EPISODE:Time of the Machines; MACHINES DÉSIRANTES

           I will explain how the above excerpt is relavent, but first some back story is necessary. I am a host of a philosophy club, and in the philosophy club we talk about the soul, and what it's like to have a soul, and I ask the question what's it like to have a soul? Usually when I ask the quetion I'm met with answers like, "it's awsome", or, "I don't know" I never realy thought about it". The way I lead up to the question is I begin by explaining the chemical makeup of the (adult) human body ( Water: 35 Liters, carbon: 20 kilograms, ammonia: 4 Liters, lime: 1.5 kilograms, phosphorus: 800 grams, salt: 250 grams, saltpeter: 100 grams, and various other trace elements). I elaborate on carbon, that the elements' atomic number is six, and the symbolics of the number. I explain all organic matter must contain carbon. I challenge the audience to type in chemical or biological makeup of the human body in their internet search engine of choice, and explain that they will be presented with a varient of the above parenthasized list, and that, "soul", will not be included. Then I present the excerpt at the begining of the node and ask the question. This is my usual bit/intro for the first day of the club. For those of you who arn't familiar with Ghost in the shell, replace the word, Ghost, with Soul, and know that Tachikoma is a robot, and you will better understand the excerpt at the begining of the node.

         One day whilst hosting the philosophy club I was going through my usual intro bit, (as it was the first day of starting the good ol club up again after mooving) and I asked the question, "what's it like to have a soul", adressing no one in parrticular. I was met with a response from a young gentleman leaning back in his chair taking on the classic stance of the rebel. He said "I don't like having a soul, because having a soul means you can go to Heaven or Hell". He went on to explained that he was raised Catholic, and in the Catholic church it is taught that animals such as dogs and cats DON'T go to Heaven, (or Hell for that matter) because they don't have souls. Humans on the other hand do, because we do have souls. He said masturbation was an issue for him because it was taught that upon doing such an act would cause you to go to hell, or at least loose the favor of the Most High, hence increasing the chances of one going to hell.

         I like'd this answer, because it inferred that this man took responsibility for his soul. It infered that what he realy didn't like was responsibility. Following the Catholic logic, asking what's it like to have a soul is no different than asking what's it like to be a sentient life form, or, what's it like to be made in gods image, or, what's it like to be responsible for all other "lower" forms of life, or, what's it like to be umong one of the most intelligent species of earth cabable of giving life, or taking it away. So now I flip the question on you, what's it like to have a soul?

                                                                  “If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” Will Rogers

 

 

Ecclesiastes 3:19-21 King James Version (KJV)

19 For that which befalleth the sons of men befalleth beasts; even one thing befalleth them: as the one dieth, so dieth the other; yea, they have all one breath; so that a man hath no preeminence above a beast: for all is vanity.

20 All go unto one place; all are of the dust, and all turn to dust again.

21 Who knoweth the spirit of man that goeth upward, and the spirit of the beast that goeth downward to the earth?

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.