The Votadini were a tribe of Brythonic Celts that inhabited a territory on the north-east coast of Britain mainly between the Hadrian and Antontine walls (what would now be south-east Scotland), certainly between the 1st and 7th centuries AD. Together with other tribes such as the Brigantes, Novantae, Selgovae, and Damnonii were collectively known as the North Britons, or to the Welsh Gwyr y Gogledd or the Men of the North.

The Votadini were Roman allies and probably acted as a buffer state between the Caledonian confederacy of tribes in the northern highlands and the settled Roman provinces of Britain to the south. After the departure of the Romans they ruled a kingdom centred around their capital of Din Eidyn (later called Edinburgh by the English).

Known to the Welsh under their Brythonic name Gododdin, the Welsh epic poem Y Gododdin tells of a force of Gododdin warriors who went south to fight the Saxons in 605 AD.

Part of the Votadini, from the sub-kingdom of Mannaw or Mannau Gododdin (roughly centred around modern Stirling), migrated southwards during the 5th century to north Wales under the leadership of Cunedda and established the kingdom of Gwynedd.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.