A turophile is generally defined in dictionaries as 1. a connoisseur of cheese; 2. a cheese fancier. This gives you a good idea of the tone of the word: snobbish.

"Cheese - milk's leap toward immortality."
Clifton Fadiman

It is unclear where this word came from. It first appeared in the world of cheese and the culinary arts in 1938, but didn't really become known until Clifton Fadiman, a popular author and radio and television personality, started using it in the 1950s. However, it is clearly wrong; a cheese-lover should clearly be a tyrophile, from the Greek tyro meaning cheese, and -phile, meaning love. It appears that the prefix turo comes from a typo or mispronunciation carried over into print, most likely a misreading of the Greek letter υ in τυρός. The prefix tyro- has been used for centuries in a number of English words, while the prefix turo-, if it meant anything, would refer to the Turones people of ancient Gaul, or, in Modern English, people and things from the city of Tours in France.

While the word tyrophile is sometimes used, the word caseophile is more common; but neither is nearly as common as turophile. Turophiles are often also oenophiles.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.