Although only of local significance the Tail o' the Pup is a blast from the past. It is the last remaining odd restaurant from the time when these restaurants seemed to be popping up everywhere. The most famous of them all was the 1920s Brown Derby Cafe, made on a bet that someone couldn't make a restaurant shaped like a derby, but I'm digressing.

Built in 1945, the Tail o' the Pup is a hot dog stand, and is shaped like one on its side complete with mustard. Sure its goofy, tacky, and stupid, but it's cute! Beloved by the neighborhood, when the stand was threatened with demolition in 1985 citizens raised enough money to have it moved a few yards away where it now stands on a platform. When it reopened the following year, it attracted some celebrities including Jay Leno and Robert Wagner.

Some of the Tail o' the Pup's specials include Mexican Ole, (With chili, cheese & onions) and the Boston Celtic (With baked beans). The stand has also sold more than 5 million dogs! The "Pup" is located not too far from another landmark and place to catch celebrities...Pink's.


Tail o' the Pup

329 N. San Vicente Blvd.
Los Angeles, California

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.