A term coined by linguists to refer to a Chinese word imported into Japanese (often with a drastically changed pronuncation) by way of Chinese characters. (Called hanzi in Chinese or kanji in Japanese-- this is also a perfect example of how drastically the Japanese versions of the Chinese words change in pronunction)

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.