Universities offer various options for students who are unable or unwilling to complete a class. Most of them have a short grace period of about a week, in which a class can be dropped with no consequence at all. After this period they will often allow students to drop a class and receive a grade indicating that the class was started but not completed. Common grades indicating this are W (withdrawn), I (incomplete), and Q (quit).

A Q drop will not affect your GPA (but check with your local administration), and will usually allow you to receive a refund on tuition for that class. It will appear on your transcript, but having just one or two Q drops is not likely to count against you when future employers or graduate school looks it over. You are generally allowed to take classes that have been Q dropped over again in a later semester. However, most universities will not allow you to Q drop a course a second time, and most have strict limits on how many courses can be dropped overall -- usually between three to six. This limit may be waived if you have a good excuse.

All of this is dependent on your university's policies, and when in doubt you should check with them directly.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.