was built by the Canadian government
in 1840. It is 65 feet (17 meters) tall, and is white with red trim. It is located at the mouth of Otter creek
in Port Burwell
, Ontario. It is Canada
's oldest wooden lighthouse, and was the first lighthouse
in Ontario to shine over Lake Erie
The lighthouse was built with the classic eight sided design, encasing the stairs to the lantern room. The original optic piece, a third-order Fresnel lens, is still in place. It was originally lit with whale oil, then kerosene and eventually by electricity.
It was decommissioned in 1963, and was refurbished in 1986 by Mennonite craftsmen. They used the same tools and techniques as were used when it was built. It is now open to tourists. The lamp is still lit recognizing its importance to early shipping.
Port Burwell Marine Museum and Historic Lighthouse
20 Pitt Street
Port Burwell, Ontario
Phone: (519) 874-4807