The Plymouth Fury was made by the Plymouth division of the Chrysler Corporation from 1956 to 1978. It was produced in Windsor, Ontario, Canada and was available in four trim styles; Fury I, Fury II, Fury III and Sport Fury, which were designed to compete with Chevrolet's Biscayne, Bel Air, Impala, and Impala SS models respectively in both price and styling. At the time of its introduction, the Fury was intended as a sport package of the Plymouth Belvedere. The Fury was available in four-door sedan, two-door coupe, four-door station wagon, and two-door convertible body styles and boasted engine options ranging from the 3.7 Slant-6 to Chrysler's renowned "Hemi" 7.0 L V8.

The car was famously featured in Stephen King's Christine, a horror tale of a teenage boy and his possessed 1958 Fury. The novel unfortunately contained a number of anachronisms concerning the car, notably that Christine is referred to as a four-door. The Fury was only available in a two-door model until 1959. Christine's transmission is also referred to in the novel as Hydramatic, a GM-exclusive transmission. Chrysler's transmissions were called TorqueFlite. Additionally, the novel makes reference to the vehicle's gearshift lever; the automatic transmission in the 1958 model was push-button drive.

There were over 5,300 Furys and Belvederes manufactured in 1958. They have since become rare collector's items, a fact that had Plymouth enthusiasts up in arms at the time of John Carpenter's 1983 film version of Christine, as there were several of the cars smashed during filming.

Sources:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085333/trivia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plymouth_Fury

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.