An energy bar that is part of the standard food at Philmont. Its wrapper boasts a "Fruit 'n Nut" flavor and that it contains all 8 essential amino acids.

It is very filling and you'll be hard pressed to find someone who can eat an entire bar at once. Most backpackers will carry the bar to the nearest commissary for disposal or home with them as a souvenir.

They can be ordered online from Prolithic Sports at http://www.prolithic.com/hpages/efoods/bear.html

Nutritional Facts:
Calories: 420
Calories from Fat: 120
-
Total Fat: 13g 20%
Saturated Fat: 2g 10%
Cholesterol: 0mg 0%
Sodium: 90mg 4%
Total Carbohydrate: 59g 20%
Dietary Fiber: 9g 36%
Sugars: 28g
Protein: 17g 34%
-
Vitamin A: 0%
Vitamin C: 4%
Calcium: 25%
Iron: 10%


Ingredients: Malted Corn and Barley, Nonfat Milk, Honey, Wheat Germ, Raisins, Soy Flour, Walnuts, Soy Oil, Wheat Bran, Pecans, Grape Juice

Traditionally, North American Plains People (First Nations, Aboriginal, Indians) made pemmican with buffalo meat. The meat was sun-dried, then pulverized into meat dust with a stone maul. The meat dust was mixed with buffalo fat and grease. To add flavour to pemmican, dried fruit such as chokecherries or saskatoon berries were dried and ground up, and added to the mixture. Pemmican was mixed together in a parfleche container and pounded to remove all air from the mix. This pounded mixture, when carefully prepared, would keep in a tight parfleche container for many months.

When white explorers came west in Canada, they traded for pemmican to take with them on their return voyage, as it was the ultimate* high-energy, low-maintenance food.

Pemmican is presently made with beef or ostrich meat, anything red. Most pemmican these days is made for the curiosity seeker, for in the day of refrigerators and supermarkets, there is no real need for such a food anymore.

*for the time

Pem"mi*can (?), n. [Written also pemican.]

1.

Among the North American Indians, meat cut in thin slices, divested of fat, and dried in the sun.

Then on pemican they feasted.
Longfellow.

2.

Meat, without the fat, cut in thin slices, dried in the sun, pounded, then mixed with melted fat and sometimes dried fruit, and compressed into cakes or in bags. It contains much nutriment in small compass, and is of great use in long voyages of exploration.

 

© Webster 1913


Pem"mi*can, n.

A treatise of much thought in little compass.

 

© Webster 1913

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.