I was just selected to fill out the term of Susan Collins, who as you all know passed away this afternoon after having a highly concerning moment where no one intervened because they were too busy being concerned about what was going on.

Tomorrow, I will introduce a bill in the Senate calling for the government to promote everything2 as its favored substitute for the Facebook social media app that has been riddled with issues and smugness about said issues. This will bring millions of new noders to everything2 within the next couple of weeks. That is, of course, if this bill gets passed. I've talked to Mitch. He nodded at me while making a face and then signaled to someone in a uniform, so I got out of there fast and hid in my office until they stopped looking for me. So, please be prepared.

The second part of the bill will demand the expulsion of the North Korean bots that have been spreading propaganda (a real word - and no, it isn't the same as "Uganda" although I know they have some there) on the site. I will also demand that the North Korean generals who control this site through their shell company, Everything Fine in Pyongyang, LLC, located in the Cayman Islands. This information was in part of the Pandora Papers that no one has gotten around to reading yet. They will. It is just a matter of time. I am being proactive and shit. Making it happen. Keeping it real. That is my motto. And never tell an honest man a lie he will then need to repeat. You'll wreck his vibe.

So, hopefully all will turn out for the best. I am about to get spit-roasted by two bodybuilders from the British West Indies. Wish you were here, sugarnerd.

You are sick as shit.

You go to the ER.

You finally feel safe, on a bed, they will save me, you think.

The nurse is on autopilot. He does not seem concerned. You are shaking a little as he arranges you on the bed. He puts the heart monitor stickers on and hooks you up. Blood pressure cuff, pulse ox. Blood pressure is fine, pulse is a bit fast, at 110.

You notice he is not making eye contact.

"I'm cold." you whisper.

He doesn't reply. He keeps messing with the wires. He puts the call button next to your hand. He leaves and returns with a warm blanket. It feels wonderful. He doesn't say a word.

You feel better under the warmth.

The respiratory therapist wheels in the ECG machine. You smile at her but again, no eye contact. She puts more stickers on you. "Hold a deep breath." The ECG spits out. She takes it and leaves.

The radiology tech wheels the portable xray machine in. You watch his face but don't bother to smile. He looks everywhere but at you. It's a bit creepy. Are they all robots? It's 3 pm, not 3 am. "Lean forward," says the tech, putting the radiology cartridge behind you. "Take a deep breath and hold it." He takes the cartridge and leaves.

The nurse is back. Puts in the iv and draws 5 tubes of blood. You are shivering a little. He doesn't seem to notice. You think about another warm blanket. The iv fluid starts and you can feel it running cold into your arm.

There is a child crying in the ER, in some other room. You start noticing the noises. Machines beeping. People typing on computer keyboards. No one is talking. The kid gives a howl of protest, rising and then is abruptly quiet.

Your hands and feet are tingling and burning. You writhe a little under the blanket. Sensation is returning to your hands and feet. It hurts but it is also good. You were at the point where all your feeling had shrunk to a tiny spark in the center of your chest. As the iv fluid runs, feeling slowly spreads out from that.

The doctor comes in. Grumpy, clearly. "Lean forward." Listens to your chest. "Sounds clear."

"It's been hurting for 5 days. It hurts to breathe. Burns." You are anxious as hell. BELIEVE ME.

The ER doc gives a little shrug. "Oxygen sats are fine." He does a half-assed exam. He leaves.

You look at your feet, taking your socks off. Because he didn't. There are two black spots, a couple millimeters across, old blood. Those are new.

You press the call button.

Time goes by. The nurse floats back in.

"Look. Tell the doctor to look. These are petechiae." You point to the black spots.

If the nurse had laser vision, your feet would be burned. The nurse glares at your feet. He goes out.

The doc comes in and looks at your feet.

"They are petichiae. I have an infection."

He gives a tiny shrug. "Your chest xray looks clear. Your labs are normal. You are not running a fever."

"I am on azithromycin for walking pneumonia. I suddenly felt like all the fluid was running out of my arms and legs. I am worried that I am septic."

"Blood pressure is fine. You are really really anxious."

You are furious. It probably shows on your face. You are terrified.

"Could it be an antibiotic reaction?"

Shrug. "No rash."

"Except the petechiae." A sign of sepsis.

"I will change the antibiotics. Clindamycin." He leaves.

You lie back, terrified. He doesn't believe you. He is sending you home, septic. You will probably die.

The nurse comes in. Removes the iv and unhooks the monitor and the blood pressure cuff. You get dressed, numb and frightened and cold. The nurse goes out and returns. He recites the patient instructions in a bored voice and gives you the first dose of clindamycin.

You walk shakily to the door of the emergency room. To go home. While you are septic and they don't believe you. You know what happens with sepsis: your blood pressure will drop and then organ damage and then IF you survive you could have heart damage or lung damage or brain damage and you might not anyhow.

You go home.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.