The National Association of Letter Carriers (NALC) is the union of city delivery letter carriers working for the United States Postal Service.

In 1889, the Milwaukee Letter Carriers, knowing many of their fellow carriers would be attending the Grand Army of the Republic Encampment in their city that summer, issued an official call to meet during the reunion to form a national association and act on other matters of importance to letter carriers. On August 29, 1889 60 letter carriers from 18 states gathered together and unanimously adopted a resolution to form a National Association of Letter Carriers.

The union's first major task was to win implementation of the eight-hour workday which was deliberately being ignored throughout the country. It was not until the NALC won a Supreme Court decision and $3.5 million overtime award in 1893 that the eight-hour day was truly recognized for letter carriers.

Since then the union has fought to maintain adequate pay and working conditions for all its members. In 1970 over 200,000 letter carriers and other postal employees across the country walked out in response to Richard Nixon's refusal to provide an adequate pay raise for letter carriers.

Now there are 312,500 active and retired members of the NALC, of which over 241,000 are city delivery letter carriers currently employed by the U.S. Postal Service. There are 2,712 local branches representing letter carriers in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands and Guam.

NALC is affiliated with the AFL-CIO

Most information in this write up is from http://www.nalc.org

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.