Judge N. Sanders Sauls, 59, is a county circuit court judge in Florida. He heard Al Gore’s legal challenge to the election results in Palm Beach, Miami-Dade, and Nassau County, FL. He ruled against the challenge, but his ruling was overturned by the Florida Supreme Court, which was overruled in turn by the US Supreme Court.

Sauls grew up in the Florida Panhandle and was the son of a court clerk and a tax collector. He graduated from Florida State University and got his law degree from University of Florida. After working as a prosecutor and barnkruptcy judge, he was appointed a circuit court judge by Republican Governor Bob Martinez in 1989.

Though Sauls is a Democrat, he is a very conservative Democrat, and this was not his first run in with the Florida Supreme Court, a group he considers too "liberal". Formerly the chief judge of the circuit, he was removed from that post in 1998 by the Supreme Court for "continuing disruption in the administration of justice" because of accusations of bias and for firing court administrator Tom Long, whom Sauls considered insubordinate.

Democratic supporters found fault with his ruling against Gore chiefly because Sauls refused to examine any of the evidence, i.e. the ballots that were trucked up to Tallahassee in that yellow Ryder truck.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.