Close below us, the dark and sleeping earth. Above us, the great river of stars. Before us, the wind. We hugged close to Rook to keep from being blown off. And Rook hugged close to the earth as they dared, through one valley and another. We were lucky to have the mountains. Out on the plains, there wouldn’t be any terrain features to fly below. We might wind up on someone’s radar and make them think there was an air raid.

 

Then again, a radar reading of a huge aircraft flying that close to the earth might confuse someone enough that they wouldn’t think we were some kind of sneak attack from the Canadians. 

Then again, an airplane trying to do the sneakiest attack would be doing exactly what we were doing

All we could do right now was use the GPS to avoid airports and military bases and nuclear power plants, and hope that it would be enough. Once we got to the plains we would have to figure out something else. 

Damn these Olympians. Damn our justified paranoia. I wanted to be soaring above the clouds, not crawling like a chump. I didn’t want to be flying with no margin of error on the back of a bird who had never even flown this far. The ability to snag mule deer in passing barely made up for that risk.

“It is odd,” said Ruth behind me. “The wind whistles over my face, yet for all that we fly through the night, I hardly feel cold.” 

It seems your condition is progressing faster than you had hoped.”

“Despite my efforts to avoid speaking Bird! Well, I suppose that’s just the way. Next thing I know, I’ll be a falcon like you. And then I’ll be wanting to share your supply of dried crickets.”

Oh yeah? You’re so sweet, you’ll probably turn into a Lovebird.”

“Ha,” said Ruth. “You’re the sweet one, you should have been a Lovebird.”

What is a love bird?” said Rook.

The lovey-doviest of birds,” said Ruth. “Two of them mate for life and cannot bear to be parted, lest they perish.”

Then you two are both lovebirds.”

I chuckled. “Rook’s got us there. Whatever else we are, we’re lovebirds. Although that part about perishing –”

Highly likely if I am separated from you,” said Ruth. “I even went along with having us fly at night, instead of by day when it would have been fun. Remind me why we’re doing this?”

If we’re visible by day, Zeus can find us more easily.”

“I’m surprised he’s that easy to evade,” said Ruth. “And you already pissed him off, eh? Nice work, pretty bird. I like the cut of your jib. You want to get a coffee together sometime?”

Just like we did after meeting Artemis the first time,” I said. “What I want to do is figure out who and what these Olympians are. I have half a mind to fly up to Olympus and –”

“And get stung by a biting fly so that you spiral out of the sky and crash,” said Ruth. “Funny how that happens to anyone who tries to fly up there. Why, you’d think the Olympians weren’t interested in having equals. So let’s avoid attracting further attention from them right now.”

On we flew, trusting Rook’s navigation as much as the GPS, though none of us had ever seen much, if anything of what lay between us and the great lake





Below our feet, the cool forest floor, dappled brown and golden in the sunny day. Above us, the canopy of a cottonwood grove. We had landed in a National Forest, something big enough that hikers probably wouldn’t come across us. But just to be absolutely safe, Rook was doing their best to look like a large boulder, and Ruth and I were tucked beneath a wing, asleep on a bed of pine branches, in each other’s arms.

Cozy as it was, Ruth kept waking up, which woke me up.

After about the fifth time of this, and I had gotten all my harrumphs out, Ruth said, “I’m really sorry. I’ve never been able to sleep by daylight before.”

Neither have I. But I am a bird now, so when darkness covers my face, I sleep.”

“It’s that simple?”

It’s that easy.”

Are all birds so easy to fool?”

Are humans very much different? They wear sleep masks, or they cover their eyes with their hats, or they put a scarf over their eyes. Darkness makes sleep easy for creatures. But yes, for birds it is more swift and straightforward than humans. We are indeed bird-brains.”

“Then I shall become one too,” said Ruth. “Oh dear. What have I done for love.”

Are you noticing any new feathers?”

“Some. Back, face, arms. I am transforming swifter than I had hoped. I am…scared.”

I hugged her closer. “If it is any consolation, I have not noticed any further transformation on my part. Nor have I lost any height in the past week. This condition may have a limited effect after all.”

Your genes are not mine. What if I go further?”

Well, whatever happens, I am with you to the end.”

“Oh, my dove. The things you do for love.”

The things I do for you. Call it love or folly as you will.”

There was a crunch of footsteps nearby, and the sound of human voices. We clung tighter to each other. “We should probably sleep now,” whispered Ruth.

In a minute. I haven’t done a noon prayer yet.”

“I’m pretty sure your religion doesn’t require you to follow a commandment if doing so would be stupid.”

No, no, this is a golden opportunity. You’ve always wanted to be a lawyer, I’ve always wanted to be an urban legend. So if I do that while doing the noon prayer, it’s killing two – uh – this is doing two things at once. Watch.”

“Rani, no!”

But I was already out from under Rook’s wing. And there were two hikers before me, with their packs on the ground, clearly intending to rest here a while. Might as well scare them off. 

Holy crow,” said one of the hikers. “Did that thing just step out of that huge boulder?”

I bowed my head. “To Heaven I pray, bless these travelers and guide them safely on their journey. May they find no fearsome beast nor bandit, and reach their home safe and sound. Thank Heaven for the wide, wild world, and thank Heaven for home.”

I’d like to think the wind picked up a bit when I finished. But what I was paying attention to was the hikers, whose mouths were hanging open.

“What the hell was that?” said one hiker.

“A lot of chirping,” said the other hiker.

“But that thing was praying,” said the first hiker. “This is crazy. Hang on.” They rummaged in their pocket, and I decided that this was a good time to vanish. I stepped back beneath Rook’s wing and let it close over me.

And then I settled down next to Melody, who was very much wide awake and sitting up, probably glaring at me. 

The two hikers were making more awkward squawks than I had ever done. And then there was a low, rumbling noise that I could feel in my bones, and after that, the sound of human screams and human footfalls fading into the distance.

Good bird,” I chirped.

“Rook’s a good bird,” growled Ruth. “You’re a bad bird. You made us more conspicuous.”

It’s called fame, darling. You just stick with me, and we’ll make it out of this one-horse town.”

Ruth snorted. But then she snuggled closer to me, and we were asleep soon enough.





The great river of stars above us, the dark earth below us, the mountains around us, the wind ahead of us.

And a storm cloud on the distant horizon, flashing with lightning.

“I’m slightly worried that your stunt backfired,” said Ruth. “Zeus might have caught on to our general direction.”

I am feeling a little foolish now. But for all we know, that storm is a coincidence. Zeus claims to rule the sky, but he doesn’t order around every little wisp of wind and clump of cloud. Chaos is the name of the game up there.”

“Maybe,” said Ruth. She looked up. “Hey, I’ve been wondering. If Zeus owns the sky –”

I said he makes the claim. Only God can truly own any part of the world.”

“Okay, Professor Pedantic. So Zeus rules the sky.” Ruth pointed up. “What about the stars? Who rules them?”

I imagine that are beyond any of our earthly pretensions and squabbles.”

“I never thought of the Olympians as being Earth-bound,” said Ruth. “But I guess archaic Greek cosmology couldn’t account for the limitless depths of the heavens, nor that the Earth was just one rock among many, But – you say that God owns the Earth?”’

Seems like that would be his prerogative, yes?”

“Do we get a say?”

Eh?”

“Are we allowed a voice in this? If not, it is not very democratic.”

I laughed, such as a bird can laugh. “No, it certainly does not. We should have a vote, then, over all the earth.”

“And undercut the Olympians, eh?”

They each get one vote.”

What about the birds?” said Rook. “Do we get a vote?”

“That would be appropriate,” said Ruth. “And then we will have to give a vote to all the bears, and the beavers, and the bunnies, and the bees, and the butterflies, and every creature whose name starts with ‘b.’ Sorry moose, sorry deer, you’re just not good enough.” She laughed. “Ah, but having a vote from every living creature in all the world would be something, wouldn’t it? We’d never finish counting the votes.”

Only God Almighty could finish counting.”

“Wouldn’t they be a biased counter?”

Oh! To say such things of the LORD! You BLASPHEMER! You know that’s actually a good question. Could God himself be fair and impartial when counting votes about his own position? We certainly don’t let presidents do such a thing.”

“No,” said Ruth. “It’s dictators who do that, and the votes always come up 90 percent in their favor. A miracle, I tell you. Divine providence.”

Talking of rulership though…” I looked out at the mountains. “It feels very odd to have these spirits from Greece claim dominion over North America. Surely if they exist, other gangs of spirits do as well? Where are the Great Spirits of this land to resist the Olympian domination?”

Hello,” said a voice right in front of me.

Ruth and I squawked in surprise. There was a crow’s head peeking out of the feathers of Rook’s back. “Hey!” said Ruth. “You can fly, can’t you? Why are you hijacking us?”

The crow tilted their head. “You can fly. Why are you hijacking this big ol’ bird? Oh wait, you’re going for a ride. Well, that’s how I roll sometimes. You know how it is. Talking of rolling –”

Hang on a second,” I said. “You’re…speaking in a human tongue?”

What, you want to talk in Crow? Fine, fine.”

Hang on,” said Ruth, “Is that what this language is called? It’s named after crows?”

It’s named after me,” said the crow, and winked.

Who’s that back there?” said Rook.

If I called myself an elder,” said the crow, “I’d be sounding real puffed-up and self-important, wouldn’t I? Just call me Crow. Now, I wanted to talk to you all because it looks like someone rolled the moon away. Bit rude. Maybe this young thunderbird here has an idea what that’s about? Didja steal it and hide it somewhere, youngster?”

Thunderbird?” said Rook.

I don’t see any lightning around us,” said Ruth. “Do you? Rook isn’t a thunderbird, he’s – he was born from an experiment. Genetic engineering and all that.”

Ah ha,” said Crow. “Mad Science. And here I thought I knew a thunderbird when I saw one! So it’s not Rook here. Alright. Maybe it was ol’ Coyote, doin’ somethin’ dumb again.”

No no,” I said, “I’m pretty sure it was Artemis.”

Artemis!” said Crow. “What’s one of them fellers doin’ on this side of the world, eh?”

I’m going to take a wild guess,” said Ruth, “and say that you already know. So answer Rani’s question. Why have we not seen any Great Spirits that could resist the intrusion of the Olympians?”

Few enough people worship them anymore,” said Crow.

Why ever not?” said Ruth. “What happened?”

Crow said nothing, for long enough to let an uncomfortable silence fill the air. 

Something tells me it’s a long story,” I said. “A story Crow doesn’t want to tell.”

Oh please,” said Crow. “I wish I could say I knew. But let’s leave the griefs of the past behind for now, eh? And focus on what we can do in the prRanit. The moon ain’t showin’ her face. Why not?”

I wracked my brains for ideas, but nothing came to mind. “Damn if I know.”

Could be trying to hide us from Zeus,” said Ruth. 

Oh I see,” said Crow. “It’s all for you. Aren’t you special.”

Well,” I said, “Ruth and I are quite odd birds, you have to admit that.”

True, true.” Crow hopped out of Rook’s feathers. “Well, for now maybe you could ask Artemis for a less troublesome solution? Some folks like havin’ the moon around. Like the ocean. If there’s no moon, what will she do? Sit there and do nothin’. I just hope this whole effect ain’t over all the earth. So I’ll try to see how far out it goes. Catch you later, friends.” Crow spread their wings and lifted off and away.

And so we beat on.





Cold earth below us, a canopy of dripping leaves above us. Rook’s mighty wing shielded us from the rain.

And from sight, as usual. Which was just as well. Ruth’s human face had given way to full bird features – brown and cream-colored feathers, a grey beak, and black eyes with cream-colored irises. She had seen her reflection in a pool of water and become self-conscious. Unlike me, who did not mind being seen by stray humans, she was thoroughly embarrassed.

And so we hid under Rook’s wing, away from prying eyes.

“Before I fall asleep,” said Ruth, “I want to tell you – we should probably turn north.”

What? Why?”

“Because flying across the plains is impossible. We’ll run out of state parks, and from there all we can do is rest in open fields and farms in the middle of the day, and we’d be spotted immediately. Plus there’s no guarantee of being able to steal livestock out there, it’s all corn and wheat. If we follow the mountains north, make our way through the boreal forest, and come down on Lake Superior from the north, we can reach the lake more safely than by trying to take a straight shot across the plains.”

But –”

“It’s a lovely wilderness expedition so far anyway. I’d like to keep it going.”

 “Ruth, your condition has progressed even further. Professor Windsor and Guy and Ayaan are busy turning into birds. We can’t waste time.”

“I am willing to turn fully into a little song sparrow if it means we’re more certain to reach Doctor Morrow.”

And you’re willing to risk the same for people who can’t even contact you to make the decision?”

“I…wait a minute, we can contact them.” She rummaged in her backpack and brought out the satellite phone. “But this is for non-confidential messaging, right? We can’t ask for their vote on turning north.”

No,” I said, “but you can ask them if they’re overly concerned about the pace of their transformations, and how important having a cure is to them compared to us.”

“That’s…a good idea. Do you want to do the honors?”

I took the phone from Ruth and punched out a short text.

Hey Guy, this is Rani,         
coming to you live from the
non-confidential hotline      

U like turning into bird so far?
Does Ayaan?                          


                                                      Feathers itchy, but it’s a good itchy.
                                                      It means I’ll have wings soon. Can’t wait.
                                                     Ayaan is overjoyed to be able to talk to birds.
                                                     I can’t see the appeal, they're kind of
                                                     assholes.

I told them to be less petty.        
             Old habits die hard I guess. How is            
the Prof                                       

                                

                                                    Always cackling and rubbing
                                                   their hands together

                                                  I think they’re getting

                                                 Ideas

Uh oh. Brace yourself.                              


Do you, like, want us to fly faster?               


Slightly worried about reaching Doctor           
Morrow with enough time for Prof to                
synthesize a cure                                        

                               
Before they go Full Bird and can’t                 
hold a beaker                                             

 

                                                           Professor isn’t too worried


                                                        And me, I don’t mind turning into

                                                         An actual honest-to-god sparrow


                                                       And getting eaten by a hawk or
                                                        something


                                                        Might as well re-roll my character
                                                        at this point anyway

 

Dude                                            

 

                                                        What

 

Stop treating Ayaan like she’s not
important to you                         

 

                                                         Oh

                                                         On that embarrassing note, I am
                                                         signing off

Kay                                        

Will ask more by mail,            
keep eyes out for it               

Good luck                               

Don’t die                                 

 

“By mail,” said Ruth. “You got a stamp on you or something?”

We’ll cross that bridge when we come to it. The point is, the home team is apparently impatient to go Full Bird. So if we have to hurry, it’s mostly for you and me.”

“I don’t know,” said Ruth. “I’m slightly worried about Guy going ghost. And the Professor going nuts. And Ayaan getting in over her head."

She got an idea of it when Rook scared the living daylights out of her. I’m more worried about risking you.” 

“I will accept the risk.”

Like you accepted the risk of the bird potion in the first place. Well what if I can’t? What if I can’t bear to see you suffer?”

“Ah, well. If you love someone, you must let them go. For birds must fly…”

Ruth?”

She was asleep already.

All I could do was hold her tightly, and pray that we would make it through this safely.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.