Jan Brett was born on December 1, 1949, in Hingham, Massachusetts. She loved to draw when she was a kid; she was shy, and expressed herself through her pictures. By the age of six, she had decided to be a children's book illustrator. Her childhood pets would later show up in many of her books.

She attended Colby Junior College and the Boston Museum of Fine Arts School. She shortly began illustrating other authors' books, and eventually moved to creating her own text to go along with her pictures. In 1981, Fritz and the Beautiful Horses was published - her first wholly-her-own work.

Jan currently lives in the seacoast town of Norwell, Massachusetts. She spends her summers in the mountains, where she works on her own books, and also adapts and illustrates historic folktales.

Jan's husband is a member of the Boston Symphony Orchestra, and was her inspiration for Berlioz, the Bear. She has a horse named Hans and a hedgehog named Buffy.


Books

Annie and the Wild Animals

Armadillo Rodeo

Beauty and the Beast

Berlioz the Bear

Christmas Trolls

Comet's Nine Lives

The First Dog

Fritz and the Beautiful Horses

Gingerbread Baby

Goldilocks and the Three Bears

Happy Birthday, Dear Duck

Happy Hens

The Hat

Hedgie's Surprise

The Mitten

Mother's Day Mice

The Night Before Christmas

Noelle of the Nutcracker

The Owl and the Pussycat

Scary, Scary Halloween

St. Patrick's Day in the Morning

Town Mouse, Country Mouse

The Trouble With Trolls

The Twelve Days of Christmas

The Valentine Bears

The Wild Christmas Reindeer


thanks to:
http://teacher.scholastic.com
http://falcon.jmu.edu/~ramseyil/brett.htm
www.janbrett.com
www.amazon.com
:

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.