It has come to my attention that:
  1. Svaha actually exists
  2. She does not know how to grill sweet corn.
I have resolved to remedy the situation.

Since I can't disappear Svaha easily, and I'm sure that plenty of you out there are also corn-grilling-challenged, I'm a-gonna tell you all how to grill your corn right.

You will need:

  • a grill, preferably charcoal, coals arranged for indirect heat, about medium-hot (you shouldn't be able to keep your hand where the corn is going to go for more than a couple of seconds)
  • Corn (preferably of the sweet, white variety, although the yellow stuff will do), still in the husk
  • Butter, pepper, and such, to taste
Here is what you do:

First, remove all but the last couple of layers of husk completely. Don't do this if you have a gas grill; the purpose of this step is to make the corn cook faster and to let more smoke in. You do not want propane smoke flavor.

Next, peel back the remaining layers almost to the base of the ear, but leave them attached! You need to be able to wrap the corn back up later to keep it from direct contact with the grill! Now is the time to add butter and pepper, and I guess salt if you're into that.

After your corn is appropriately doctored (not too much! let the natural flavors live!), wrap it back up and toss it on the grill over indirect heat for about 5 minutes, until the husk starts to blacken and the kernels are tender. Then remove from the grill, let it sit for a minute or two to finish cooking in the husk, and enjoy!

Serves 1-millions and millions of millions and millions, depending upon the amount of corn available and the size of your grill.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.