Long since demolished, Hattem's 24-Hour Drive-In Market was Los Angeles' first supermarket and possible the first grocery store to use trading stamps. Owned and operated by by European immigrant, Isadore M. Hattem, it was located at the corner of 43rd Street and Western Avenue and was designed by Walter R. Hagedohm with construction costs around $30,000. It opened on December 27, 1927, and resulted in the coining of the word "supermarket" when the Southwest Wave, a community newspaper described its grand opening.

Log in or registerto write something here or to contact authors.