Gray"wacke` (?), n. [G. grauwacke; grau gray + wacke wacke. See Gray, and Wacke, and cf. Grauwacke.] Geol.

A conglomerate or grit rock, consisting of rounded pebbles sand firmly united together.

⇒ This term, derved from the grauwacke of German miners, was formerly applied in geology to different grits and slates of the Silurian series; but it is now seldom used.


© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.