Fal"dis*to*ry (?), n. [LL. faldistorium, faldestorium, from OHG. faldstuol; faldan, faltan, to fold (G. falten) + stuol stool. So called because it could be folded or laid together. See Fold, and Stool, and cf. Faldstool, Fauteuil.]

The throne or seat of a bishop within the chancel.



© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.