Motorwerke. When the Soviets
came to power in Germany
after World War 2
, they took control of the Eisenach BMW
factory. Here they manufactured pre-war BMW models branded as BMW until 1952, when BMW was able to pressure them into changing the name to EMW.
In 1956, EMW stopped producing BMW derivatives, and launched it's a new model, the Wartburg, named after the Wartburg Fortress in Eisenach.
In 1991, after German reunification, EMW was purchased by Opel.