The Clifton Suspension Bridge in Bristol
spans 214m (702ft) of the River Avon
. It was designed by the world famous engineer Isambard Kingdom Brunel
. Although construction started in 1836 it wasn't completed until 1864 due to cash flow problems. Brunel
never got to see the completed bridge.
The bridge has two towers on each side of the gorge 26m (86ft) high. A chain runs between the towers and the bridge deck is suspended from the chain. The chain is anchored 21m (70ft) into the rock at the side of the gorge. The end of the tunnel tapers out in all directions, a staffordshire brick infill is used to form an immovable plug.
Each year over 4 million vehicles cross the bridge with 3,000 commuters an hour using it every weekday morning. Collection of tolls was automated in 1975.