The Cheraman Juma Masjid is considered to be the earliest built mosque in India. The mosque was founded in the 7th century and is believed to be the first Juma mosque in India. It was named after the King Cheraman Perumal. The mosque is located in the Methala village of Kodungalloor Taluk, Kerala, India. The mosque was at first built as a Hindu temple, and was designed and built in accordance with Hindu art. The mosque, until recently, was mostly made of wood. The mosque was rebuilt with a strong foundation after the much-heated climate took its toll on the ancient mosque.

It is said that the temple was turned into a mosque after the death of King Cheraman Perumal. After marrying the daughter of the King of Jeddah, Cheraman Perumal passed away after some time. After his death, the King of Jeddah was requested by the King Cheraman Perumal to bring Islam to Kerala. The Arathali Temple was soon turned into the Cheraman Juma Masjid.

The rules of the mosque are rather strict. Women are not allowed to enter the mosque at any time. Men, on the other hand may enter, but they must take previous permission by the Imam of the mosque before entering.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.